25 January, 2009

Wat Po Massage Course, Day 1

I showed up at 8.30 am, filled in some forms, handed over a sizeable sum of Baht and started my course at 9:00 (or shortly thereafter...Thai time!). Initially I was wondering how it would all work, and not sure I would have any classmates or not, but they filtered in one by one. Thus far, a fantastic lot of folk, including the 3 Japanese, Yukiko, Hiroki and Yuko, all of whom I believe are closet (or not so closeted) alcoholics, Ana from Spain who is here specifically for massage courses, Marco the quiet Italian (bless him, I really wonder how he does it as his English is limited) and on the other end of the spectrum a chatty Czech fellow who actually brings girls over from Thailand to do massage in Prague.

Now somehow I ended up in the Japanese group, and Yuko with the Europeans (???)...so part of my course is being taught in Japanese and I think I get lessons of another sort in addition to this.

So, there are all in all 5 stages. the first stage being rather long took the entire first day for us to learn. Bending, pulling and tweaking each other in ways that I only thought possible in more advanced yoga classes, we muddled through before introducing Ana to the riverboat ferry..the poor girl had paid an astonishing 500 baht from the Khao san road to Wat Po - in a tuk tuk! (for relativity here, I paid 400 in a meter taxi from the airport to Khao san, a considerably longer distance, in the middle of the night when no other option existed). sleeping time....10pm..

No comments: