04 January, 2009

One Night in Bangkok

Well, its actually been 3, but who's counting?

So, 2 stopovers (Seattle and Tokyo), 20 some odd hours of flying, and would you believe it - no airline distress! despite the snowy mess in Canada all flights departed on time AND my luggage arrived with me. odd, surely! Also managed to get 2 sets of raised eyebrows for the solo travel thing, first being American customs, and the second the nice Singaporean lad I shared some Udon with in Tokyo..is it really so strange? huh.

So since this place is rather familiar its been more of a taking care of business stop, which also meant getting back into the groove of taxi rip off..i've done relatively well with the tuk tuks tho - the first one who took me for free once i'd agreed to go to not one, but TWO shops! they get free fuel for taking people to these shops (ahem) en route to the desired destination, be it tailors or gem shops, the latter with items that carry a cost similar to my flight. I think something might have gone astray there cos honestly, if i were willing to pay that for a piece of jewellery chances are I would not be getting around bangkok in a tuktuk or staying on Khaosan road! Not that I would ever pay that much for jewellery, just not a luxury goods item person and the simple silver sold on the Khaosan for much cheaper suits me just fine.

It was quite nice being asked at one shop if I wore suits and to answer 'not anymore!'. :-D However as a person with more time than money, I could manage the 10 minutes at each doing the diplomatic joker-grinned 'oh yes, very nice' whilst watching the clock and getting on out of dodge at the first available opportunity. normally once you've gone through the rigamorale , the tuk tuk drivers smiles turn upside down but this guy remained pretty cheerful and even tried to convince me to go to a party later..tho a rough calculation meant he made more than 10x what he would have just taking my 20 baht fare with those fuel cards. Not a bad deal since all it cost me was 20 minutes of my time, and he did shuttle me around to the tourist authority, the train station and eventually Maboonkrong, Bangkok's large shopping centre which in itself is an experience, full up with Thais and foreigners alike, negotiating deals on all things imaginable.

Note to anyone else looking to get a mobile phone over here, the 4th floor there is where its at and shop around - for the SIM i bought one place asked 150 baht, the next one 50..exactly the same thing. In any case, success and I am once again reconnected to the GSM mobile world!

Else than that, revisiting Wat Po (I wanted to photograph the large reclining buddha as well as the other examples of Thai architecture inside), and managed to sit before my first golden buddha inside one of the temples! Turned an ear to a tour group that had entered as well as their leader spoke about monks and Thai style of prayer/meditation. Have also taken reprieve at the rooftop pool from the craziness (this area does not sleep), had a Thai masseuse 'break' me (its worse than doing yoga that, and I suggest one warm up beforehand!) and partook in some good cheap street food, where I basically just look at what they have (at most i can slightly recognise the Thai characters for chicken) and hold up one finger and hope for the best!

Off on the night train to Surat Thani, and over to the Andaman side tonight (Khao Lak and Similan, where I will meet a Thai friend for the first time in years), so looking well forward to that! the weather has been fantastic, and the perfect antidote to Canadian winter! until the next entry...

No comments: