21 January, 2009

Nyi Nyi

This is someone's name. I'm not sure on the spelling because I have only heard it, managed to pronounce it correctly one time and seen it written in the person's native language - Burmese. So I'll do my best phonetically there...

Anyway, as this is one of the most interesting and sound people I've come across on this trip I thought I'd make a small entry about him. Nyi Nyi (aaghh...ok, letting go of my spelling issues) is originally from Burma although has lived in Thailand and therefore managed to escape the horrors that are happening in his country. I met him as he worked at the small guesthouse I stayed at in Khao Lak - he worked there every day, as most people here in the tourism (and likely other) industry do for about 12 hours each day, dealing with tourists who I am sure are not always pleasurable to deal with, even if his English was excellent. He dealt with all my requests happily, efficiently and far above standard, including helping me move rooms when I was sick. I often saw him eating his meals at the desk while doing paperwork.

In our western world, when people are working that many hours they are likely to be a bit surly and stressed, but Nyi Nyi was always smiling and cheerful, be it first thing in the morning or at the end of the day.

With one exception - when he spoke of the situation in his home country. Understandably, as I can't imagine anyone smiling while recounting tales of monks being murdered, or how their leader had spent $50 million USD on his daughters wedding, meanwhile many people live in poverty. For myself, who I'm ashamed to say, knows little about the situation, it was interesting for me to hear it firsthand and made me realise how extremely lucky and blessed I am as I have never known such a situation, and nor am I likely to.

After hearing this it made me think what a strong person he must be, to have endured it, escaped, and have very little or no contact with his family still there, and be completely on his own in Thailand. He spoke of keeping a steady supply of medicines (he was actually giving me heaps of advice during my own stomach issues) as there was no one to take care of him.

When he had free time, he would read, and study. He was reading a book about Hitler, as he likened Burma's leader to him and wanted to understand why - although I don't think any decent human being ever could in either situation. He studied, and was keen to practice a few words of Japanese that I taught him, to use with Japanese tourists. Also it was thanks to him that when I left, I did not miss a bus that had come early, a critical connection in getting back to Bangkok, as he ran out into the street, my luggage in tow, until the bus stopped.

The night before I asked him to write in my travel diary, which he did saying he was so glad to meet me and may God bless me. I think perhaps that is the reverse, and I certainly know I am already immensely blessed, so I return that to him, and should he ever read this one day I wish him all the best for whatever he wants in life (although he has no time for things like internet!).

No comments: