07 August, 2010

Strange Brew

So, as I noted earlier, the mission to find Wayan the healer was a success and dead easy. All thanks to another commonly read book known as the Lonely Planet, which in this case was a burden and a blessing.

I say this because (i'm starting with the burden bit) there is a small text box in the Bali and Lombok book entitled "That Damn Book", referring of course to "Eat, Pray, Love". and ya, I get it. especially if you live here it's hard when a place gets heaps of publicity and suddenly tourists are traipsing through town all looking to re-enact it. However what I didn't care for in that text was it being yet another piece of media portraying middle age women in a negative light and generalizing us all.

Sure, there will be some who have come hoping for the same fairy tale type ending Elizabeth Gilbert had, but there are also heaps of us who haven't. "That Damn Book" refers to asking a mere 2 residents and those are their thoughts, and saying maybe these women have had too much yoga. Forgive me for not seeing how something so harmless and helpful for people - female, and male - can be seen so negatively. But then again I shouldn't expect much from the same person who wrote about Wayan's ability to counteract a Bintang dinner.

And ah yes, lest we forget the part where single middle age women are all desperately trying to find "Mr. Right". or in this case a carbon copy of the character "Felipe". again, some are, but tons aren't. and for those who are, so what? Whatever happened to, live and let live? If someone wants to come to Bali looking for love, so be it. It may be a bit far fetched hoping for Wayan to mix a magical love potion mind, but each to their own.

And my own - I went to Wayan for help with gastro and circulation issues that western medicine has failed to address for me. Hardly the stuff of romantic dreamers. I'm not here, or anywhere else looking for a knight in shining armour (or shining credit card for that matter) because I've got my own money, friends and adventures. So no, we are not all sad desperate Elizabeth Gilbert wannabes and FYI, I was here years ago - long before that book came out, long before she even came here doing the research for it. I loved Ubud then and was more than happy to come back under any circumstances. knowing the name of a healer from that book was an added bonus.

the blessing bit: at least lp did include Wayan's address. Et voila.

Wayan pinpointed my issues without me saying anything and my session with her was great, rejuvenating and informative in terms of my health and a way to go forward in taking better care of myself. I got all kinds of funky medicine, putting paid credit to my belief, the worse it tastes, the better it works (as I've found with Chinese medicine)

My session is not for the timid however and if lying naked save for a sliver of sarong with 4 Balinese guys scrubbing, bending and tweaking you is something you'd find awkward, then maybe pass on by.

No comments: