03 August, 2010

Balinese Bliss and Bangkok Continued

The Khao san road area of Bangkok seems to inspire love or hate. I don't think in all the times I've gone there I've heard a middle of the road reaction. and for some like me, it wavers between the two. However, one thing I love is the randomness. The randomness that I could just be walking down the street, actually on my way to give this fish foot massage thingie a try (cos the massage I just had wasn't enough), and next thing I know I'm having sex on the beach with 2 nice English girls (the drink that is) which then leads to laughing and dancing with 3 more random Scotsmen.

The impetus behind all that was the guy who calls himself 'Mr. Thailand'. Mr. Thailand dresses in outlandish outfits including oversized sunglasses (even long after the sun has set) and is usually mounted on a pimped out bike belting out 'walk the line'. However I guess his role was different that evening as after a 30 second dance with him, I was sat down (as in he literally sat me down) at the table with Holly and Annie, who were more than gracious about the invasion, immediately introducing themselves. It was after some more comedic movement by Mr. Thailand that the 3 Scotsmen asked to join us and voila. a ready made evening. we checked out the club down below and did a bit of boogying until the fact i'd been up nearly 24 hrs - and had to be up in a few more to catch the next flight - hit me.

so a 3 hr nap and back to Suvarnabhumi it was, and I slept the better part of the way to Denpasar, and awoke to observing roadside Balinese life en route to Ubud, and was promptly checked into my guesthouse. My room is simple, the hot water isn't working, but for $13 i can't complain. I've got a great view, my own little terrace where breakfast is served and staff are friendly. The main guy Yande seems to get a kick out of calling me by my entire name and is exceptionally fond of high 5's and handshakes.

and thus, I set out on my mission here, which is not entirely that of other tourists. I've come here with healing and rejuvination in mind, with yoga and massage being an integral part of that. not that people don't come here for that, but i'm getting some strange looks when i mention i'm not interested in the monkey forest or driving around to rice patties. I did the tourist stuff last time, and really from my perspective...i see rice fields on an almost daily basis in Japan, and monkey forest could be another one of the many nicknames for my workplace. largely i've succeeded in my relaxation quest, practicing yoga in a gorgeous open air studio, massage in a beautiful spa and now am on the hunt for the healers - 'Eat, Pray, Love' strikes again and with any luck, I hope to find the same ones she had (yet for some reason right now the mission impossible theme is playing in my head...). Here goes nothing...

No comments: