08 August, 2010

Kafe

(and Yoga Barn)

the above is the name of, oddly enough, a cafe in Ubud and a place where i've gotten a lot more than I'd ever have expected.

I was reasonably certain I would be treated to some great healthy food, something I looked forward to as I struggle a bit in my every day life. Mission: accomplished.

However the real treat has been the great people I continuously come across there, and also at the Yoga Barn. I've visited both every day and am truly amazed by the amount of interesting, intelligent and grounded folk I've come across. I guess first off was my inaugural meal during which I met Australian doctor Damian, who has left his job and is spending time in Ubud to write his book. Had a great chat with him over our dinners in Kafe.

next would be Leishea, who was more a random meeting in a convenience store that i'd taken shelter in due to the heavens falling (ie, rain!!). Maybe one of the precious few times I was immensely glad it had chucked down with rain, I had a wonderful evening with her, as we hi fived each other on having similar travel story.

I was wandering aimlessly one night in Kafe searching for a seat when 2 lovely Dutch ladies asked me to join them. Unfortunately even if I were able to remember their names, I would never be able to write them properly. Their passion being transport of the 2 wheeled variety, they were peddling all around Bali for 3 weeks and had great advice to give on where to go. I saw them again one afternoon and they treated me to a ginger tea before taking off to get some late day Temple photos, and ultimately on home to Holland.

then I met 'my other half' - I was just about to leave Kafe in fact when Mitsu asked if the seat was free. We quickly discovered that we were both half Japanese, though hers is her mothers side,and mine my father's. We also both live in Japan, and have both lived in Germany. Incidently, she also checked into my old guesthouse the day i checked out! She has been excellent company here,speaking on all manner of topics and its so nice to bounce thoughts about living in Japan as a foreigner to someone else who gets it. She's also full of energy and bountiful interests, including being a dance performer, taking Balinese language lessons, dance and art classes and the list goes on...

Through ecstatic dance I met Shervin (listed earlier), and a random dinner with Suzie, another Dutch girl who lives in Thailand, Melissa, a fast talking bubbly New Yorker with a mistaken half Japanese identity (yet she's actually Puerto Rican, he he), Rodolfo, a lovely guy hailing from Mexico who had taught the ecstatic dance session earlier in the week and is currently observing a vow of silence, but his wonderful smile and expression helped him communicate easily with us all. He was the fly on the wall for all our girly talk, as the other members including Mitsu and myself. We also had a lively discussion to help Rodolfo with his budding business plan for accomodation here in Ubud. I wish him great success with it.

We have a plan to meet tonight.

And last but most certainly not least, Valerie of Belgium who is taking some time out here in Bali and diving into a number of courses. She is a yoga teacher and healer, with an amazing energy about her and our shared dinner at Kafe after Chakra meditation was filled with light and laughter.

I am incredibly blessed and lucky to have come across these amazing people, at a time I probably needed it the most.

Thank you all! and I love Kafe!

No comments: