13 January, 2008

Panama or Bust!


Hurrah! I finally made it!

The dinner with the English guys, Andy and Steve, who were a cleverly disguised Father/Son duo, was fantastic. All of us a bit sick of rice and beans (andy and steve were doing a very long trip through central america, going down to costa rica before needing to get back up to Cancun for a flight), we choose an asian fusion place with a colorful owner and gorgeous food, for not any more than i had paid for anything else in Nicaragua. We had a couple of beers and a bunch of laughs afterwards as well (Andy and Steve, thanks once again for the rounds of drinks!).

The bus ride was so not fun...turbo air con once again (at least I was prepared and had my 'hello kitty' wool socks this time), and the journey taking far longer than on the way in. The immigration process took quite some time, and an accident (a logging truck had tipped on the side of the road!) just outside San Jose slowed things down.

However, the upside was, as is often in these situations, meeting some nice people, in particular David from France. We spent our time in the immigration queue fantasizing about having a real meal upon arrival in San Jose. He also gave a great tip for the Costa Rica backpackers, so I tagged along and we managed to get a couple dorm beds for the night. The place has pretty basic rooms, but comfortable mattresses and excellent grounds complete with pool and hammocks. and our fantasy was realised; this hostel also had a little restaraunt which served a variety of things and the carribean chicken was exactly what i wanted after that long day....our room was shared with Leslie, another one hailing from France and it was an amiable group for the night.

Got up early and headed to a craft market and finally got some of the Christmas gifts I promised (or, errr, had forgotten and said i would make it up with something from central america). Although I had less pressure than David, who had the same plan about the presents...but he realised the night before his flight really left at 9am, not 12 as he had initially thought. Hope the airport shops were not tooo expensive...

Also wolfed down 2 breakfasts..not sure what is wrong with me, just polished those right off. And was quite glad to be taking just a little short flight rather than another 13 hr bus ride! The flight was great, we were only 8 passengers in total and the atmosphere was quite convivial. Amongst the group were 2 Isreali guys and 2 Canadians. The views over the mountains and finally the Carribean Sea once agan (YESSS!!!) were amazing and it was pretty much smooth flying all the way. We all tried to book into hotel las olas for the amazing bay views, but they were one room short and i voluntarily drew short straw, as i had a guidebook and would prefer something more central anyway. When I finally did decide though, i realise, i have severely overpaid (the sea view seduced me once again, hypnotically willing me to hand over too many US dollars for it), but sod it, I am over the 'I am soo cool because I stay at the cheapest place' thing and since I will in the very near future be freezing my arse off in Vienna with a view of an opposite concrete wall....I won't worry. I am, after all, still employed.

In the meantime I've been befriended by a gregarious local called 'George'. George was born in Bocas, grew up here, drives a boat around to the islands and does tours, so I just signed up to go with him and the group he had gathered tomorrow as he goes to all the places I want to see, including Cayo Zapatillas. He's also quite open and fun and insists we will party on my last night here. The entire town seems to know him. He also spoke of maknig friends with other travellers and has friends in Japan.

I look forward...and the boat tour with him ought to be rather interesting as well. Of course I was rather suspicious at first, but he seems a bit like a Panamanian Baboo (for those who don't know, Baboo was the local Zanzibarian lad I was referred to during my time down there and had a blast with, also experiencing local sides of Stone Town I otherwise wouldn´t have). So let's see, shall we?

Food is enticing me once again. At this rate I will probably be charged excess luggage charges on my way back to Los Angeles, or be forced to purchase a second seat. oh well, fat and happy!

No comments: