20 February, 2009

Battling Buses and Blistering Heat on my Bike...

...all in the name of looking to join the ranks of the employed. However, as am not employed, am still doing the budget thing, and to cover the distances I need to I decided a little pushbike at 10,000 Laos kip per day (slightly over $1 US) was the way to do it. Especially making numerous trips to call on language schools, which could easily cost 10x that in the tuk tuks.

So there's me, all set to go, in one of my 3 non-khao-san-road outfits, topped off with a vietnamese rice farmer style hat (this has actually gotten laughs out loud from passing locals) paddling along with the strong sun beating down on me. I'm not sure if it were pure mirage or reality, but I swear a temperature board read over 40 degrees in the heat. Not so easy to look presentable. Today I had to nip into a supermarket for 20 minutes so as not to look as though I'd just done Olympic sprints.

Even less easy when some schools have no real address I can find..if I am lucky, I get a street name and go from there. Yesterday I reckon I rode the better part of the way to Thailand before realising I'd gone wrong, but in the end managed to find the school I was aiming for.

Good so, as I was called today for an interview which went well and may lead to my residing in Vientiane a while (yay!). I've had other positive responses, so now its time to wait and reap the fruits of my labour (ie, hunting down these places on foot and the pushbike in these temperatures..I like heat, but its even too much for me. Which must mean its hot hot hot!).

Tomorrow I go to the pool.

No comments: